My second SOTA activation is done. Monika (DL6SCF) and I made a short hiking trip on the Swabian Alps. On top of the Kornberg we made a stop and started the activation ... unfortunately we have to shut down operation due to a rising thunderstorm.
It was a pretty succesfull activation. I've done 20 QSO within 33 minutes thanks for all stations calling me.
Again I've used my HYENDFED 3-band antenna. One end was about 6m up in a tree, the other end was tied to a small bush about 1.5m above ground. The antenna again works fine, even without using the antenna tuner in my KX3.
Based on the various commercial "wire winders" found on the net, I build myself a "winder" from a medium density fibreboard which carries the antenna and some rope to attach the antenna to a mast or something similar. The "wire winder" has a cut-out in the middle part, which carries the top loading coil, so that you can wind on one half the wire above the loading coil and on the other half the wire from the balun to the loading coil. To prevent the wire from jumping off the "wire winder", I use my loved velcro straps (you get pretty good quality from REICHELT).