Here the steps, I got Mosquitto up und running on my Windows 8 machine:
- Install Mosquitto from the website. To avoid any security issues I installed it in the directory c:\mosquitto
- Edit the existing configuration file mosquitto.conf. Uncomment the following parameters and change them
- Open a command prompt (cmd.exe) and navigate to c:\mosquitto
- Create a new password file for the new user dl2sba using this command mosquitto_passwd.exe -c pwfile XXXXXX. Enter the password YYYYYY twice.
- Be sure to enable the windows firewall to let external applications access mosquitto.exe.
- Start mosquitto in the command window with mosquitto.exe -v -c mosquitto.conf
- Now you should see some initial output:
C:\mosquitto>mosquitto.exe -v -c mosquitto.conf
1400926309: mosquitto version 1.2.3 (build date 22/12/2013 13:36:32.54) starting
1400926309: Config loaded from mosquitto.conf.
1400926309: Opening ipv4 listen socket on port 1883.
- Open another command window an start the provided subscribe-client of mosquitto
C:\mosquitto>mosquitto_sub.exe -t dl2sba.de/+/+ -h 192.168.2.100 -d -v -u XXXXXX -P YYYYYY
Client mosqsub/5916-DL2SBA-5 sending CONNECT
Client mosqsub/5916-DL2SBA-5 received CONNACK
Client mosqsub/5916-DL2SBA-5 sending SUBSCRIBE (Mid: 1, Topic: dl2sba.de/+/+, QoS: 0)
Client mosqsub/5916-DL2SBA-5 received SUBACK
Subscribed (mid: 1): 0
- In the first command windowyou should now see some additional message
1400926458: New connection from 192.168.2.100 on port 1883.
1400926458: New client connected from 192.168.2.100 as mosqsub/5916-DL2SBA-5 (c2, k60).
1400926458: Sending CONNACK to mosqsub/5916-DL2SBA-5 (0)
1400926458: Received SUBSCRIBE from mosqsub/5916-DL2SBA-5
1400926458: dl2sba.de/+/+ (QoS 0)
1400926458: mosqsub/5916-DL2SBA-5 0 dl2sba.de/+/+
1400926458: Sending SUBACK to mosqsub/5916-DL2SBA-5
If this happens, your first steps are done. Now continue reading hwoto connect to your Mosquitto MQT server from your arduino.